Friday, January 23, 2009

Winter Discovery Table

As I packed up the Christmas decorations, I decided to leave my snowman collection out for our unit on "Winter." I put fresh batteries in the light-up snowman tree so the kids could see it lit up at eye level. The table has several drawers, so mittens, hats and scarves can play a part in our winter discovery.

Since we live in Central Florida, winter is still just a concept for our preschoolers. I pulled out all the books we own relating to winter, including Snowmen at Night by Caralyn and Mark Buehner; The Mitten by Alvin Tresselt; Welcome Back, Sun by Michael Emberley; The Jacket I Wear in the Snow by Shirley Neitzel and Nancy Winslow Parker; All You Need for a Snowman by Barbara Lavallee; and several easy readers about animals in winter.

The TV table makes a perfect discovery table, now that we got rid of the set in our living room. We never watched it anyway! This is our winter discovery table:


How do you celebrate winter?

3 comments:

  1. Most recently, our central heat and ac went out. So, we have been bundling up and having bonfires with a space heater, hot chocolate, and marshmallows over a candle. Sad, I know.

    We are gonna need a whole new system, so it's gonna be cold inside for awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Need any extra blankets? I might be able to find some extras if you do!

    I love the marshmallows roasted over the open (teeny tiny) fire!

    Good luck with the whole process of getting the new system...that must be stressful and extremely pricey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! It's not really "winter" in Phoenix, either. I did take the kids to play in the snow in the mountains the day after Christmas. A first for both of them!

    ReplyDelete

Contact us directly at
growinggreatkids (at) gmail (dot) com
(Trying to discourage auto-spam)