Friday, November 19, 2010

Loving Love & Logic

I've been reading this book

Parenting With Love And Logic (Updated and Expanded Edition)


and reminiscing about a favorite old tv sitcom: The Cosby Show. I loved it as a kid, but I seriously LOVE it as a parent! And now I know why! The Love & Logic philosophy really appeals to me. The idea that we are not here to swoop in and rescue our children from their poor decisions. We are here to support them and love them right through their not-so-great choices and the consequences that follow. Can't you just see that wise, knowing smile on Mrs. Huxtable's face as she discussed with her children the choices they had made or were making? Remember the humor that never failed to shine through? I want to be like that as a mom!

2 comments:

  1. That is the book that they use as a "guide" at Hillcrest. I read it when Avery started kindergarten, I really should read it again. It is a really good book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it great?! I'm almost done reading all of their "pearls" of wisdom and have begun using L&L strategies with our kids. I was not too far off from this parenting style to begin with, but it's a good reminder that when I'm having an emotional response to poor behavior, I'm just letting the kids push my buttons rather than learn from their mistakes.

    ReplyDelete

Contact us directly at
growinggreatkids (at) gmail (dot) com
(Trying to discourage auto-spam)