Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Math Munchies: Fruit Loop Number Line

We love edible math around here...I mean, who doesn't, right? So I gave my just-turned-3-year-old a bowl of fruity-O's and some plastic lacing cord, the length of a necklace, and invited her to make a necklace. After finding lots of reasons to eat them before stringing them (this one's broken, I'll have to eat it; these two are stuck together - I'll have to eat them) she got to it and strung about 25 cereals. I tied a knot at the open end and showed her how to slide the loops down to the end as she counted. She let me do about two of them and then told me to "Stop, Mommy! It's my turn!"





It was fun to make, fun to use, and fun to eat. When she tired of counting (she counted the whole strand 4 or 5 times by herself) I tied it around her neck and she set to work nibbling her necklace!

3 comments:

  1. I love edible math! I love math in general! Great idea Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, it's a very great blog.
    I could tell how much efforts you've taken on it.
    Keep doing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the lovely compliments! We have so much fun with our kids and sometimes remember to blog about it! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Contact us directly at
growinggreatkids (at) gmail (dot) com
(Trying to discourage auto-spam)